Behind the Mazes of Knott's Scary Farm
Behind the Mazes of Knott's Scary Farm
I made it a priority to attend this years Knott's Scary Farm after sitting in on the announcements at ScareLa this past August. But just attending wasn't going to fill my fix and curiosity of what makes this event such a draw to so many, I was dying to get in and see more! I jumped at the chance to attend a special behind the scenes tour of 2 very popular mazes, Paranormal Inc. back for it's second year and Toothfairy.
I'm not wanting to give away too much but, these mazes are just as scary in the light of day as they are at night with all the monsters and effects. Care to be scared? Read my tips on getting the most from your visit and check out the lights on tour footage I got.
Scary Farm is better with a partner in crime! I enlisted my gal pal Penny of On The Go OC and we made a complete experience of our visit. We first got our fill with the Boo-Fet, a buffet inside Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant. It came with a souvenir cup (free refills for the rest of the year, oh yeah ) plus we got access to the park 30 minuets before normal opening time. We enjoyed all our favorites like fried chicken with all the fixings, ribs, all the sides we could want and yes even boysenberry pie! It's all you can eat and believe me you will need the energy to run like the wind from all the crazies in the park.
With our bellies full we set off to do a lights on walk thru of the 2 mazes with their designers. I'm totally sold! I wanna help create this stuff, where can I sign up! I loved seeing the layers of the mazes, the little things that get lost and sometimes over looked and learning about the original concept ideas behind them. Sound, lighting or lack there of and of course the very important element of surprise by the scare actors is what makes or breaks a maze, Knott's Scary Farm always delivers.
Tip on getting the most of your evening: If you can, I highly recommend getting the the Fright Lane pass with the Skeleton Key ticket and here's why. The lines get long real fast. Scary Farm just gets more popular by the year and I've found the past two years if you don't have a fright lane pass chances are you won't get thru all the mazes and still be able to catch the shows and jump on some rides. Also this year the 4 skeleton rooms are stand alones and not incorporated in the mazes as they were last year making for up to an hour wait for those alone.
So with all that said, here is my take on this years haunt and ways to get the most out of it. If you have a skeleton key, hit those 4 mazes first since there is no priority lane and the lines WILL get crazy long. For example, Visions was slammed most of the night with an estimated 45 + minuet wait. With all the hype we waited it out and it ended up being our least favorite.
Here's my take on the Mazes from this years event:
- Red Barn, did it twice super twisted and the scare actors were on it! For the animal lovers, please, it's all pretend, lets not get another maze shut down this year (insert eyeroll).
- Paranormal INC. the opening is always a super shocking one, this year was even better than last years. With two ways to start the maze I like the choices, go with the doctor or with the nurse, either way you are screwed. Both paths merge back together and lead you into the depths of a whole lotta hell! Enjoy mortals!
- New this year! Shadow Lands, hands down my favorites this year! So many scare actors inside and some seriously gory stuff! Loved it! And if you make just the slightest bit of eye contact or show any fear, be prepared to be stalked and singled out throughout the entire maze, good times!
- Special Ops: Infected has been taken out of Camp Snoopy and made into it's own stand alone maze with no return time/reserved time. This maze was super popular all night long. I'd get to it sooner than late if you don't have fright lane access. I'm on the fence with this one in comparison to last years set up. Since it's set in a maze setting, you are sent in single file and it doesn't give the ones at the back much chance for kills as you are all going after the same zombies. I did like that you didn't have to re power up your guns and it showed amount of kills. Although I will say last year I found myself confused as to where to go and they had you running like a crazy person.
- Gunslinger's Grave. Pretty much unchanged and not that scary in my opinion, good first maze for newbies.
- ToothFairy, seeing this one in the light then going thru it in the dark still didn't help make it less scary. The lady in the dentist chair, my goodness, don't make eye contact and just run!
- Trick or Treat always a good one! Gotta love the Green Witch.
- Dead of Winter was a former skeleton key room last year. Even with minor tweaks from last years event it still missed the mark for me.
- Voodoo- Order of the Serpent another former skeleton key maze was good but we hit it before official event opening so not all the scare actors were in place and it was not completely dark yet. Still beyond crazy fun!
A little behind the scenes/Lights on footage from our tour and the maze's first room after opening. didn't want to give too much away.
The Hanging, what can I say, just when you think it can't get any raunchier.... it does! This show is not for the younger crowd, and looking around the crowd I did see little ones there, now that's kinda scary! The Hanging- Finding Gory" show times are at 8 PM, 9:30 PM, & 11 PM on the Calico Mine Stage.
Elvira’s Danse Macabre Nightly showings at 9:00pm and 11:30pm at the Charles M. Schulz Theatre.
Biggest Disappointment, The Mine Ride didn't have it's overlay this year, had a blast riding it last year. Boo!
CarnEvil fans! Though you can't go "dressed up" to Knott's Scary Farm, check out this tutorial for inspiration this Halloween. This chick has some seriously "MAD" skills!
Got your tickets yet? What are you waiting for!!!!! Here are the remaining nights Scary Farm is happening but get your tickets soon as nights will be selling out fast! October 16, 17, 18, 19, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 29, 30, 31 & Nov. 1 Final thoughts: If you can I would so recommend going with the Fright Lane Pass, pretty much guaranteeing you fast access to all the mazes, choice of show times and plenty of quality time left to get up close and personal with the monsters in the fog!
And it is 100% true, if you show the tiniest bit of fear or scream, the monsters WILL stalk you and hunt you down! FACT! Totally the best experience of the haunt season in my opinion and it only gets better by the year. So are you up to what awaits you in the fog? Muahaha!