First Timers Guide to D23
First Timers Guide to D23
Like me and have heard bout D23 and wanted to go but wondered what the big deal was or let the dates pass you buy? Fingers crossed I'll be attending this year, for the first time in forever (ha, sorry couldn't resist)! My daughter and I have been park AP's for almost 5 years now and our love for Disney gets stronger by the year. In doing some research on D23 I thought, "I can't be the only one missing out on this, can I?" I've put together a few facts, important dates and general info that the newbie might find helpful in their planning to attend.
Via D23 site: Since 2009, the bi-annual D23 EXPO has celebrated all the magic, wonder, and adventure of Disney at this remarkable gathering created especially for you, our most passionate and loyal fans. D23 Expo presents three full days of “inside-the-magic” experiences you won’t find anywhere else, including exclusive sneak peeks at upcoming films from The Walt Disney Studios, dazzling celebrity appearances, unforgettable presentations given by Disney luminaries, a look at what’s coming from Disney Parks and Resorts and Walt Disney Imagineering, the Disney Legends ceremony, and the Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives exhibition, which spotlights crown jewels from Disney’s timeless legacy.
What to expect! Props, discussions and reveals PLUS tons of exclusive merchandise galore! Check out a few of the featured displays coming your way at this years D23.
- Pirate props and set pieces
All five Pirates of the Caribbean films will be represented in the exhibit: original costumes worn by the iconic cast, Davy Jones’ pipe organ, a 23-foot-tall set model of the Black Pearl ship, the Dead Men’s chest, and more original props and set pieces, including items from the upcoming film Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, will all be on display.
- Elsewhere on the show floor, the Walt Disney Archives will present “Fantastical Fashions,” a selection of dresses worn by heroines and villains in six of Disney’s live-action fantasy films including Enchanted (2007), Maleficent (2014), and Beauty and the Beast (2017).
- Treasures from beloved attractions
An exhibit about Disney’s pirates wouldn’t be complete without the Pirates of the Caribbean! Audio-Animatronics® figures from the original Disneyland attraction will be on display, along with a pirate ship ride vehicle from Peter Pan’s Flight.
- The Disney Legends Award ceremony is one of many highlights during D23 Expo,
- Disney Legend Alan Menken to Perform Brand-New One-Man Show at D23 Expo 2017
- The Walt Disney Studios, Disney Parks and Resorts, and More Take the Biggest Stage at D23 Expo.
Costs! Yes this is not a free convention and it pays to plan well in advance to get the early bird tickets. You can only secure your tickets ONLINE here > D23 and there are limited quantities available. D23 Expo tickets are distributed on a first come, first serve basis. Children 3 and under are free.
Costumes! Everyone is welcome to come in a Marvel, Disney and Star Wars costumes BUT there are some rules you must adhere to if you want to be allowed into the convention. It's a family friendly event, so keep that in mind Miss Slave Leia wanna be's. Below are the allowed and restricted items when regarding all things costumes and everyone must adhere to the following guidelines per the D23 site:
- Costumes should be family-friendly and may not be obstructive, offensive, or violent. Guests may wear masks. However, masks must not obstruct vision and eyes must be visible at all times.
Guests who dress like Disney Characters may not pretend or imply that they are an official Disney Character. Creating lines or collecting money for pictures and/or signed autographs is not permitted.
- Costumes should not drag on the ground. Costumes should not contain sharp objects, pointed objects, or materials that may accidentally strike another guest. Costumes should not contain any weapons that resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon.
- Guests who do not adhere to these guidelines may be refused entry into the event unless his or her costume can be modified to meet the above standards. The appropriateness of the guest costume will be determined by Disney in its sole discretion.
In general: Here are a few other important things to keep in mind before showing up.
- Autograph Signing Policy: No personal items to be signed. Artists will only sign event merchandise purchased on the day of the event. A valid D23 Expo receipt may be required as proof of purchase.
- No outside food or beverages besides baby formulas and if you have for allergy restrictions.
- There is no alcohol allowed nor is any sold within the expo.
- No pets