Kidspace New Arroyo Adventure Now Open
Encouraging kids to get out and play, that's what Kidspace Museum is all about
Let the explorer in your child shine through within the all new Arroyo Adventure at Kidspace Museum. We were invite to attend the grand opening of this beautiful new addition and we were very impressed. Have you ever taken your kids to Kidspace? This was our first time visiting and I must say I really enjoyed exploring the museum and the new area with my girl!
This beautiful new addition to the museum is set on a multi leveled area and is beautifully planned as well as landscaped. Welcomed by the Stone Hollow Amphitheater you can take a couple paths that all intertwine and lead you on an adventure through the lows of the Flood and erosion plain to the tree tops of the Hawk's Nest giving you a birds eye view from high above.
The 12 areas within the Arroyo Adventure give way to a better appreciation of the nature that surrounds us as well as getting our children out and making them think more creatively. These hands on exhibits inspire while teaching important lessons regarding out local landscape and the wildlife that is contained within it.
- The Harvest Corner holds contained planting of veggies a great way to inspire children to plant their own garden.
- Infant and Toddler area allows the younger ones to dig and explore.
- Flood and Erosion Plain has timed flows of water and is within a sandy area that demonstrates how water changes our landscape by making channels through sand, building small dams, and using materials to control the flow of water.
- Hawk's Nest gives you a birds eye look at the Arroyo while challenging your child as they climb their way to the top and take different paths back to the ground.
- Interpretive Arroyo is a mini water way that allows hands on exploring and while following the stream down to the catch basin.
- Hidden Forts area gives your child the materials to make his or her own tee pee/ fort structure.
- Pepper Tree Music Jam is a hands on area filled with many instruments made of natural materials to make music with.
- Arroyo Art area allows your child to be creative with water and elements found in nature.
- Pine Terrace is set aside for crafts.
- Strata Rock Climb challenges your child to forgo their fears and reach for the top of the peek.
- Wildlife Pond is a serine area to sit and relax while enjoying the view of the pond filled with koy and other life.
- Mud and Clay area allows your child to get dirty and just be a kid while exploring the properties of mud at activity table and in the mud kitchen to create unique clay art pieces at our outdoor studio.
Note: For a parent of a child with autism, this place is a gem. With water, sand, mud and musical instruments to fill their every sensory need and to be outdoors, I'm sold. Add to that the learning opportunities, the benefits are endless and there is something for every child which that makes me love it here all the more. I would suggest checking when the level of visitors is lower as the museum can get very busy and to allow more time at the exhibits (especially for those who like to repeat things).
We had a chance to explore the rest of the museum, enjoying the great weather and adopting a Caterpillar! You can get yours now through May 22nd. They will be having a butterfly release ceremony too, see site for info.
Some tips before visiting the museum:
- There are water & mud features so be sure to bring a change of clothes, a towel, water and shoes. Shoes must be worn in all areas of the museum unless otherwise posted.
- Kidspace is subject to closure during large Rose Bowl events. Please refer to the Guest Notifications for these closure dates or adjusted exhibit hours due to maintenance and special events when planning your visit.
- School groups are hosted in the mornings so visit in the afternoon if you wish to have a calmer experience or more 1-on-1 time with the exhibits and educators. See if today is a PEAK, HIGH, MODERATE or LOW Field Trip Level in the Daily Programming box to the right. Click on the date to see the whole week.
- Kidspace is perfect for children ages 10 and under with their caregivers.
- Free Family Night is the first Tuesday of every month from 4:00pm to 8:00pm. (with exception of June 2016 - FFN will be first Wednesday)
Kidspace Museum has graciously given me the go to run a giveaway. Enter below to win a family 4- pack of tickets to see and explore the new Arroyo Adventure as well as the rest of the museum. Good luck!