Guide to Cars Land at Disney California Adventure
Guide to Cars Land at Disney California Adventure PLUC Cars 3 Event!
Can you believe it's been five years since the addition of Cars Land at Disney's California Adventure? With 12 acres of pure unadulterated speed themed fun, I thought it better late than never to explore and share all that is Cars. Read all about it's beginnings, hits and misses and some exciting news for Cars fans young and young at heart. Gentlemen (and Ladies) start your engines!
A little history: From a Disneyland parking lot to the black top that takes you cruising down Route 66, the site that DCA sits on was the original Disneyland parking lot, you know back in the day when there were no trams to take you to and from the main gates. Fast forward to the 1990's and most of the present-day site where Cars Land resides was the"Timon" parking lot till the construction of the new park started in 1998. The area had been set aside for potential future expansions for Disney California Adventure and what an expansion it would turn out to be.
Enter Cars Land, a part of a 5 year renovation and expansion plan that included Cars Land and Downtown Disney. Transporting you to the famous Route 66 and into Radiator Springs U.S.A it really feels like you are in the Cars movies. With the Cadillac Mountain Range in the background rising a mighty 125 feet high and covering 300,000 square feet, It's quite a sight to behold during the day, but a major stunner at night. Rides within cars land include Radiator Springs Racers, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and the ever evolving Luigi's which opened as Luigi's Flying Tires 2012-2015 and was replaced by Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters in March of 2016.
FYI: Ever wonder why Luigi's Flying Tires ride was sent to the scrap yard so soon after it's opening? Several reasons including riders tripping getting in and out of the tires, complaints about being hit in the face by the large beach balls and no matter how much you leaned the tires just didn't "Fly"! This was a rare occurrence by the theme park giant to close down a ride, but not the only instance.
Now for a look at all things cars in Cars Land shall we. From food and souvenirs to the rides and all the fun photo opps you could imagine, you are in for one heck of a road trip! "Boogity Boogity Boogity! Let's go racin'!"
Food choices not to be missed: Fillmore: "How about some organic fuel?"
Sarge: "Take a car wash, hippie!"
- Flo's V'8 Cafe': Celebrate the pioneering spirit of the open road and home-style cooking at this kitschy Cars-themed café. Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. *AP discounts available.
- Cozy Cone Motel: Check in at Sally’s to try different “i-cone-ic” treats at each of the 5 giant cones, such as chili “cone” queso, flavored popcorn, pretzel bites, churros , soft-serve “route” beer floats and high-octane limeade for Guests 21 and over. *No AP discounts offered.
- Filmore's Taste-In: Top off at this psychedelic service station with far-out fresh fruit and veggie snacks and other good-for-you fuel. Bottled drinks, teas, fruit juices, trail mix and chips are also available. Check out the colorful geodesic dome at night, man! *No AP Discounts offered
Rides for the love of speed: Ka-Chow!
- Radiator Springs Racers: Come side-by-side with your competition as your car is pitted against another for a friendly race for first place at the checked flag. While there is only one winner, just like in the Cars movie, the focus is on the journey, not the finish line! 40" and taller to ride
- Maters Junkyard Jamboree: Grab Yer Partner! Board a trailer pulled by an adorable little tractor and tow-se-do to lively country music. 32" and taller to ride
- Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters: Hop into one of Luigi’s colorful cousins for a spin around Casa Della Tires’ storage yard-turned-dance floor! 32" and taller to ride
Tip: Fastpass is the way to go for Radiator Springs Racers, get yours as you enter DCA on the right just before you get to Bug's Land. If you miss out (because they do stop giving them out) the single rider option is a great alternative as the line can get long during peek seasons (and that's basically all year long)
Meet the stars of Cars in Cars Land: Catch them cruising down Route 66 or take. moment to snap a selfie during the timed meet up's in front of the Cozy Cone Motel, Lightning McQueen and Tow Mater are just a couple of the Cars characters you can see. TIP: Check the Disneyland app for times. No trip to Cars Land would be complete without taking a little something home with you right? Find just what you are looking for at one (or all) of these shops within Cars Land. Radiator Springs Curios, Ramone’s House of Body Art and Sarge’s Surplus Hut will fulfill your needs from hood to tow!
On to the movies! June 15 was the official opening date of Cars land back in 2012, seems only appropriate that Disney's release of the 3rd movie in the Cars series Cars 3 is set to be released this June 16th. In the meantime, check out the official trailer, I'm sure there will be some exciting fun planned at the park for it's anniversary and the new release!
BUT before “Cars 3” arrives in theaters in 3D on June 16, Disneyland Resort guests can thrill to the “Road to the Races” tour, making a pit stop in the Downtown Disney District on Monday and Tuesday, June 12 and 13. The tour will be located near the ESPN Zone and Rainforest Café and will be open on Monday, June 12 and Tuesday, June 13, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Here's just some of the details of the 2 day event via Disney Parks Blog.com :
Here’s a glimpse at what you’ll experience during the “Road to the Races” tour:
- A giant color mural sponsored by Alamo Rent A Car
- An interactive racer pit crew tire-changing activity and photo opportunity with Coppertone
- A Piston Cup prize wheel with prizes and digital postcard sponsored by Crest + Oral-B
- Sample high-octane smoothies at the Dole Refueling Station
- An interactive play area with Mattel
- An opportunity to learn about the history and science behind NASCAR
There will be fun activities for the whole family as well as photo opportunities with life-size replicas of Lightning McQueen, Cruz Ramirez and Jackson Storm. Racers, start you engines!