Nostalgic Fun at Balboa Fun Zone
Balboa Fun Zone Celebrating 80 Years of Family Fun!
Small and quaint sea side towns are almost a thing of the past here in SoCal but Newport has managed to keep Balboa Island, well an island apart. Established in 1936 The Balboa Fun Zone has been an affordable way for families to get out and enjoy time together. With ample public parking within walking distance, your day has many options to fill it. Stroll the pier, enjoy their ferris wheel with a view, test your skills at the arcades and grab a bite to eat at the original and first Ruby's Diner. Looking to go beyond that, rent a bike to explore further or set sail on a whale watching excursion. Best part of it all, everything is within walking distance of each other!
A little history about Balboa Island:
- Did you know that Balboa Island was man made?
- The total distance around the islands is just a mere 2.6 miles.
- The famous Newport Christmas Parade was founded in 1908
The options are endless as I recently discovered on a special scavenger hunt hosted by Discovery Cube Ocean Quest. When was the last time you visited Balboa Fun Zone? Well now is a great time to rediscover it or introduce the family if you haven't yet. I've got a few fun activities one lucky reader will win so be sure to enter below.
We had a great girls day exploring and playing at the Balboa Fun Zone, it was our first time and look forward to returning to take a harbor cruise and enjoy some good eats at Cruisers (we hear the Steak Nachos are pretty yummy) and I definetly want a rematch at Air Hockey with my girl at the Fun Zone Arcade!
Places to see and things to do during a day trip:
- Have a picnic at the beach front park. The grass is green, the sand is soft and the weather is always mild.
- Rent a bike. Head to Balboa Beach & Bicycle Boutique, get some good old exercise while exploring this town's shops and eateries.
- Take a harbor cruise with Newport Beach Boat Rentals or go whale watching, Davey's Locker has been having great success with whale sightings this season.
- Grab the kids and enjoy the Balboa Fun Zone which includes many carnival style rides, arcades and shops to fill your sweet tooth.
- For just a few bucks explore the Discovery Cube's Ocean Quest where you can get hands on learning dedicated to the ocean and it's inhabitants.