Autism Friendly Silent Santa Locations in Southern California
Autism Friendly Silent Santa Event Locations in and Around Southern California
It's the little things that can make all the difference! Silent Santa is one of those things for families who have children and young adults on the Autism Spectrum. Offered around the country in malls, this has been a service we never miss out on! Ever been to a Silent Santa or Sensitive Santa event? It might be easier to tell you what it's not. Find the dates and locations below and mark your calendars cause Santa Claus is coming to town!
We have attended our local Silent Santa going on 5 years now. It is a moving and truly humbling experience that always has me a bit misty eyed upon departing. Here is what it is all about and what you can expect during your visit.
It's a neat feeling going into a major mall before opening, everything is so quite and no one is around! The doors are all locked so you go to the one that is cared for by a single mall helper. Are you here for the silent Santa? YES! Come right in! it's like a secret society and we are the guests of honor. This is where the magic begins by making your way to the big guys place and checking into the event. While you are waiting your turn with Santa there are normally treats and drinks to enjoy in silence while creating crafts. The names are called out quietly and quite quickly and when it's your turn, there is no rush. You and your child are free to talk and take pictures with Santa and at the end a photographer takes and prints out a picture for you right on the spot.
I have seen every level of autism at this event and am so blessed my child doesn't fear Santa. It breaks my heart to see others not fair as well, but they people who run these event are so patient and understanding that most end up working through their fears, for others it will take several times trying. This event has grown every year and even though it is only open one morning per location for 2 hours they always get everyone! My suggestion is to get there as soon as it opens up to get in and be able to take pictures with the many decorations before your time with Santa.
So what a Silent Santa event is not about.
- Forcing our children to get that perfect picture with Santa.
- Rushing to get to the next family
- Judgements of any kind
- Selling or getting you to sign up to any service
What a Silent Santa event is!
- A welcoming place for our special children to make that connection with the magic of Santa
- A place for kids on the spectrum as well as their siblings to get their family pictures
- The perfect way to introduce our kids to traditions
- The avoidance of waiting in a loud and crowded space that our kids can't process
- A place that is free of judgement, ignorant comments or comments.
- An event we look forward to each and every year!